HISTORY
- Bakhchisaray
- Khan Palace
  SIGHTS OF PALACE

- Scheme of Palace

MAIN OBJECTS

Palace Square

Khan Mosque

SARI GÜZEL BATH

Demir Qapı Portal
Divan Hall
Summer Arbour
Smaller Mosque
Golden Fountain
"Fountain of Tears"
Harem
Living Rooms
Falcon Tower
Cemetery of Khans
Durbe of Dilara
CRIMEAN KHANS
- Giray dynasty
- List by names
- List by reigns
MUSEUM IN PALACE
- The Preserve
- Contacts
- Work time

THE BAKHCHISARAY HISTORICAL & CULTURAL PRESERVE

Khan Palace in Bakhchisaray

the museum website

 SARI GÜZEL BATH

Ventilation apertures in a dome of Sarı Güzel

The Sarı Güzel Bath (this Crimean Tatar name means Yellow Beauty ) is one of the oldest buildings in the Palace area. A stone-carved inscription on a wall informs that the bath was built by Sahib I Giray in 1532. The Demir Qapı Portal is 29 years older than the bath, but it was moved to the Palace from another place and therefore does not enter the number of original old constructions of the Palace.

Any bath meant in cultural traditions of the Crimean Tatars more than just a place for washing. It was rather a public place where people spent much time communicating with each other and renewing their vital forces. This tradition in its essence was quite similar to the tradition of Roman thermae, which also were a sort of “discussion clubs”. 

Sarı Güzel belongs to the category of Turkish bathes. The Turkish bath is warmed by a stream of hot air, passing under the floor. The floor of Sarı Güzel is based on low strong columns. Bathing rooms are supplied with washbowls and ventilated with apertures in dome roofs.

General view on Sarı Güzel

There was a team of bathhouse attendants at Sarı Güzel in the past. They warmed premises, served visitors and were competent in massage.

The Bath had been functioning for almost 400 years until it was closed in 1924. During the Soviet period Sarı Güzel was seriously damaged. Nowadays it is one of the first objects for the restoration which started in 2003.

© B.H.C.S.P. 2004
Texts © Oleksa Haiworonski, 2004